H Photo by Alex Njue
Homeboyz beat Quins in 80-point thriller
By Eric Njiru | Tue 28 Nov, 2017 12:42

Cyprian Kuto scored a brace as Homeboyz beat Kenya Harlequins 41-39 in their Kenya Cup opening match on Tuesday, November 28, 2017, at RFUEA grounds.

The Deejayz ran in five tries, four penalties and two conversions against Kenya Harlequin’s six tries, one penalty and three conversions.

Mohammed Omolo, Nelson Sangurah and Michael Wanjala scored Homeboyz’s three other tries with Omolo adding the points as Eric Shikuku, Malcom Onsando, Peter Misango(2) and Tony Mutai crossed over for Quins.

For the win, Homeboyz bag the maximum five points for winning with a bonus to move fourth in the standings while Quins bagged two losing bonus points.

Homeboyz's next match is against Nondies at Jamhuri Park as Quins welcome Nakuru RFC. 


Mohamed Omolo opened the scoring for Homeboyz with three points from the penalty after a turnover and the Deejayz were at it again scoring off a maul through Dalmus Chituyi but failed to add the extras.

Quins would bag their first points through Eric Shikuku and added more through Kevin Njugi’s penalty but when the latter had a chance to catch up with Homeboyz he sent his kick wide.

A converted try would follow for Quins but Homeboyz replied through Michael Wanjala with Omolo sending the extras in for Homeboyz to lead 16-15 at the break.

A minute into the second half, Isaac Adimo knocked in their 22 giving Homeboyz a scrum but Quins managed to win it. Omolo would slot another penalty for Homeboyz before Misango scored Quins’ second in the seventh phase to lead 22-21 after Njuge’s conversion.

Debutant Israel Soi sprint 40 metres to offload to Cyprian Kuto but a few minutes later Quins fought back to cross over through former captain Tony Mutai who scratched and took the lead after conversion.

Omolo was not done yet as he chipped and chased to set up Cyprian Kuto for his second and Homeboyz 31-29 on the scoreboard.

Misango would score off a maul for Quins before Soi claimed Haroun Lubisia’s kick for Homeboyz to camp in Quins’ 22 and score through Nelson Sangurah.

Homeboyz extended the lead through Kevin Ochami’s penalty to 41-34 but Quins hit back off a maul again through Malcolm Onsando but Njuge's last kick for a conversion, in what was the final play just before center referee Constant Cap's final whistle, went out for the Deejayz to win the game 41-39.

Eric Njiru
Email: ericnjiru41@gmail.com +254726205521
Related Articles
Leave a comment